Wednesday, May 12, 2010

#9 Vasoline - Stone Temple Pilots

This follows on nicely from the previous post because it reminds me of the same year.  1995, my first year of high school.  There was a radio station back in Hawkes Bay called 'Hot 93FM', and they used to play fairly alternative music, well not really that alternative, but fairly alternative compared to what I had previously listened to.

Now you have to remember that this was in the dying days of radio stations being stand alone.  Now there is only really a small amount of national stations owned by large conglomerates pumping out lowest common denominator rubbish.  Back in 1995 we still had regional stations which could still play music that was slightly edgy.  But I digress.

93FM had a 'Top 9 at 9' and it introduced me to a whole lot of music that might not have ever heard.  Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and along with such gems as "Who the fuck is Alice?" and "Cotton eye joe" and Stone Temple Pilots.  I love and hate Stone Temple Pilots in equal measure.  In particular their first album is generic crap, timed to cash in on the wave of grunge bands popular at the time. But their second album just hit at the right time for me.

When I first heard Vasoline I loved it, enough to tape it off the radio.  I then managed to buy the cassette of Purple and thrash to pieces over the summer on holidays and trips to the beach.

To this day I still have a strong fondness for that album.  For me when I hear it I will always think of the 45 minute trip (my Dad driving of course to Ocean Beach to go body boarding with my best mate.  Funnily the car ride out there was the same running length as the album.  The excitement of the waves that lay ahead of us as you approached the steepest descent to a beach I think, in the entire world (well it seemed so at the age of 13).  And then on the way home once you had the exhilaration behind you, the salt still fresh on your lips, and the beginnings of the sunburn to come, you could enjoy the album again.  I don't think my Dad quite grasped it.

It's a quirk of growing up that this was Stone Temple Pilots only good album.  The rest of their music was as clichéd as Scott Weiland's descent into drug abuse.  I also see that 93FM is now 97.2 More FM.

Sunrise, sunset.

Stone Temple Pilots  - Vasoline

1 comment:

  1. Gold! Extremely accurate reflection of that year and my memories of those trips to Ocean Beach. I don't think we will see another road as steep as that in all our days. I'm not sure it was possible to make it up in 3rd gear!

    ReplyDelete