Thursday, June 10, 2010

#11 Days on end - Pine


Actually this is really an excuse to have a bit of a bitch at NZ Music.  What has set me off is I just got a card from ASB bank for 20 free songs for NZ music month.  Wow, I thought, that's really cool, I can download 20 songs of my choice.  Then when I read the card I got the sinking feeling.  And it got me thinking.
Sure enough, not 20 songs of my choice.  Not even 20 NZ songs of my choice.  No no, 20 NZ songs automatically chosen and downloaded to my computer.  Of the 20, I now have 6.  It saddened me a bit.  Not to sound ungrateful, but Opshop, Midnight Youth? Dane Rumble?  It's bad enough you can't get through an All Blacks game without being subjected to it.

And that's what has angered me about NZ music and NZ Music Month.  Its lowest common denominator.  There is no creativity in what is supported or pushed.  It's basically, "this is what is popular at the moment, where is the NZ version."  We want the next Kings of Leon, here's Midnight Youth.  Quirky pop is selling, hello Kirsten Morrell.

Compare that give away to Arch Hill records.  They recently gave away about the same number of songs from artists on their roster.  And this was music you most likely haven't heard on ZM. Interesting music that wasn't ripping off anyone else.

I remember hearing Pine for the first time back in 2003.  It wasn't close to anything that was popular at that time.  It was quirky, a bit different.  That was what made NZ music different, there was an almost rejection of what was popular. Look at the Flying Nun bands, they were left of centre while still keeping their pop sensibilities, and not really like anything else around.  It's sad to see really because there are still some good NZ bands around (eg. The Phoenix Foundation) but if they don't want to become some bland derivative ripoff, a lot find it really hard to survive.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for supporting NZ music, but if I walk into a cafe and have to be subjected to Fat Freddies Drop or the Black Seeds I may just scream.  Reggae was cool for a bit, but man, if you release the same album four times it gets really boring.

So my little attempt here is to broadcast a nice little band called Pine (Also on Arch Hill).  They play simple lo-fi pop music.  Catchy and very hooky.  And they have been around for about 10 years.  Have a listen, I like them, hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment