Tuesday, April 27, 2010

#6 - Thunder Road - Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

I had the fortune this week to return to the town I grew up in, Napier, and it gave me some time to reflect.  It's always funny going back there now in that a town that can be so familiar, and yet so distant from my life now.  I'm sure I'm not alone in this feeling.

For me Napier was a great place to grow up, but I always had this pang to explore the world and make it to a city.  This song typifies that for me.  Towns like Napier are nice, but sometimes you have to leave and never look back or the town will suck you in.  I know, because it almost did to me.  I got homesick when I first move to Wellington.  That town almost pulled me back, thank god it didn't.

Some people never leave their home town and that's fine for them, that's their choice.  But not for me.  Exploring new cities and new countries has enriched my life so much I couldn't even imagine not doing it.  Heck I wouldn't have my lovely wife if I hadn't.

There is an amazing world out there and Springsteen nails this with Thunder Road, so I will close with the final line which speaks for itself:

"It's a town full of losers, and I'm pulling out of here to win."


Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - Thunder Road

No comments:

Post a Comment