Friday, April 16, 2010

#1: For Tomorrow - Blur

This is where I start.  Slightly at random....

I should explain, I was a bit of a late starter to Blur.  I was about 13 when I first remember hearing them, namely Country House, a pretty catchy pop song, but awful in one sense.  Especially awful considering the Oasis vs Blur hoopla. I enjoyed some of their music, but was a fairly casual fan up until a few years ago when I really got into them in a major way. That was when my inner anglophile kicked in and I was hooked in a big way.  This was one of the first song's which really got me and I never looked back.

This has to be one of the best songs written about London since Ray Davies wrote Waterloo Sunset.  From mentioning the views from Primrose Hill, being lost on the Westway.  In some ways it makes me nostalgic for the 90's, when I was young and everything was ahead of me (ironically I didn't hear this song until at least ten years after it was released.)

Maybe its the imagery, the horns, the optimism of greater things to come "so we hold each other tightly and hold on for tomorrow,"  but listening to the song makes we want to chuck everything in and move straight to London . In fact if they wanted a theme song for the Olympics in 2012 that should be it (funnily enough Damon Albarn has been chosen to choreograph the opening cermony).  It encapsulates everything I love about England, right down the dry wit of "modern life well it's rubbish..."


And yet I am yet to visit to Primrose Hill. I hear the view is nice....
For Tomorrow - Blur

No comments:

Post a Comment