Wednesday, April 21, 2010

#5: Protection - Massive Attack

"I'm a boy and your a girl and you know you can lean on me. And I don't have no fear I'll take on anyman here who says that's not the way it should be.... "

A very simple line but one of my favourites.  Massive Attack for me are all about mood.  And I don't mean Celtic Moods, I mean really affecting songs, which can turn your mood around.  Tracy Thorn's voice in this song is one of understated beauty, matched by an amazing backing track, with perfect and memorable beats.

This song take me to a time when my wife and I had to do a long term relationship while we waited on her visa.  a whole six months.  The longest of my life.  I listened to this song a lot in that time and it really reassured me that things would work out and I would try and be the best god damn partner I could possibly be.  

And I would take on any man here who thinks that's the way it should be.  Treat your partner right.  Because it is the right thing to do, and because you love them. That sounds terribly earnest but I wear my heart on my sleeve and that's just the way I feel.

(and listen to the full cut if you can, not just the single edit.)



No comments:

Post a Comment